Aug. 17, 2022

The satellite image from 6:30 a.m.

Aug. 17, 2022: Good morning, Roatan! Here on the east side we picked up some rain just before midnight. Punta Blanca got .7 of an inch and Politilly got .3. Coral View got .06 midisland. Mud Hole got a tenth of an inch and Sandy Bay got .02. On the far west side, West Bay and West End got none.

The center of the low pressure system is now directly south of us where the yellow X is on the National Hurricane Center map, but the rain is north and east of us and some of the models say the rain may miss us altogether. We’ll still say we have a 40 percent chance of rain today and 60 percent chance tonight. Winds will be east/northeast at 15-20 mph and seas at 3 feet (1 meter).

Tomorrow should be a calm day with light and variable winds and seas 1-2 feet. Any rain we get should be early in the morning.

Winds pick up to 15 mph on Friday and we begin a cycle of dry days and small chances of rain overnight. Have a great Wednesday!

Aug. 16, 2022

Satellite view at 6:45 a.m. showing a mass of clouds off the coast of Nicaragua that will pass over us tomorrow.
The National Hurricane Center in Miami gives the storm system a 20 percent chance of tropical development, but only after it gets well past us into the Gulf of Mexico.

Aug. 16, 2022: Good morning, Roatan! We have had a dry 24 hours. The news of the day is that the wave of moisture we are expecting for tomorrow now has a 20 percent of tropical development over five days. That is a small chance and it won’t happen until it passes by us into the Gulf of Mexico. Actually a lot of the models aren’t terribly excited about the amount of rain we will get.

Today we will have partly to mostly cloudy skies and winds 15-20 mph during the day and 20-25 mph during the evening with seas 3-4 feet (1-1.3 meters) rain chances will get better as we get toward evening.

Tomorrow we will have a good chance of at least seeing a shower with mostly cloudy skies but perhaps some moments of sun. There is a good chance thunder will accompany some of those showers. Winds will be 15-22 mph and seas will be 2-3 feet.

Thursday rain chances go way down. Sunday and Monday rain chances may get a little better with calmer winds. Have a great Tuesday!

Aug. 15, 2022

Aug. 15, 2022: Good morning, Roatan! We’ve had a hot and dry 24 hours ending this morning. Looks like the forecast is for more of the same.

Today will be mostly sunny with winds 12-17 mph and seas at 2-3 feet (.6 to 1 meter). Tonight winds pick up to 20-25 mph and seas 3-4 feet.

Tomorrow will be much like today, perhaps a little windier.

Wednesday and Wednesday night is our best chance of rain.

Thursday and Friday look dry. Have a great week!

Aug. 14, 2022

Aug. 14, 2022: Good morning, Roatan! After a brief shower just after midnight we awoke to clear air giving us a good view of the mainland. Locations mid-island and eastward got in on the shower, bringing up to a tenth of an inch of rain. The west side stayed dry.

We have a few clouds rolling in from the mainland this morning, but it is unlikely that they carry any rain. We will have partly cloud skies and an east/northeast breeze 10-15 mph and seas around 2 feet (.6 meters). There will be a small chance of a passing shower again tonight. Monday should be a gorgeous day, with winds only 7-12 mph and seas 1-2 feet (.3 to .6 meters) and very little chance of even a passing shower. Monday evening winds will increase to 20-25 mph.

Wednesday looks like our best chance of rain for the week as a wave of moisture and less stable air passes over. Have a great Sunday!

Aug. 12, 2022

Aug. 12, 2022: Good morning, Roatan! We have definitely broken out of the rain cycle into a drier period.

Today should be a great day on the sea, with mostly sunny skies and relatively calm winds 10-15 mph and 1-2 foot (.3 to .6 meter) seas. Tonight we will have clear skies and winds to 15 mph.

Tomorrow will be sunny with east winds 12-17 mph and seas at 2 feet. Tomorrow night we’ll have only a 30 percent chance of a passing shower. Sunday will be very similar to Saturday.

Monday will be another nice day with calm winds and seas. Into next week we will have mostly sunny days and small chances of rain overnight. Have a great Friday!

Aug. 10, 2022

Aug. 10, 2022: Good morning, Roatan! The satellite image here is from this morning around 8:30, but it could have been taken most of the day yesterday. For the entire day a complex of clouds and storms sat to our east, but failed to make it to the island. Only a couple of places got any rain and even for them, it was around .02 of an inch.

Today we will continue to have a good chance of a shower. Winds will be 10-15 mph and seas at 3-4 feet (1-1.3 meters). Starting tomorrow, rain chances should be lower, with daytime rain chances around 30 percent and nighttime chances around 50 percent. Starting Friday winds and seas should be calmer as well. Have a great Wednesday!

Aug. 9, 2022

Aug. 9, 2022: Last night about 8 p.m. we got quite a storm. We recorded sustained winds at 30 mph and most of the island got about half an inch of rain. For the entire day we got a little less than an inch in most locations.

Today we will continue with mostly cloudy skies and a good chance of rain throughout the day and night. Winds should be relatively calm, 7-12 mph, unless your in a squall. Seas will be 2-3 feet (.6 to 1 meter). Tomorrow the rain chances continue, but Thursday chances should be a little less, maybe 40 percent and Friday a good chance of getting through the day without rain. Winds should be moderate throughout the week and actually pretty calm Friday through the weekend. Have a great Tuesday!

Aug. 8, 2022

Aug. 8, 2022: Good morning, Roatan! I awoke thinking we’d had a dry overnight, but it turns out we had a few hundredths of an inch and all locations on the island got some rain, mostly in two waves around 11 p.m. and 1 a.m. The big winner was West End with about half an inch.

Lots of folks are saying this is an unusual amount of rain for early August. Our average rainfall for the entire month is 4.4 inches and Politilly has already had 5.21 inches. Though the west side has been drier, with only 1.76 inches thus far in West Bay.

We will continue to have good chances of rain each day — and night. Today we’ll have partly cloudy skies and a 40 percent chance of rain. Winds will be from the east/northeast at 10-15 mph and seas at 2-3 feet (.6 to 1 meter). Tomorrow the rain chance goes up to 60 percent under mostly cloudy skies and calmer winds 7-12 mph and seas 1-2 feet (.3 to .6 meters). Wednesday the winds pick up to 15-20 mph and seas 2-3 feet. Rain chance Wednesday is 40 percent. Thursday evening through Friday right now looks like maybe the driest period of the week. Winds should also be fairly calm, so Friday should be a good day on the sea. Have a great week!

Aug. 7, 2022

Aug. 7, 2022: All of us have gotten wet between yesterday and this morning, but the amounts have varied drastically. Politilly got 1.21 inches and Punta Blanca 1.14 yesterday while West End and West Bay got little to no rain during the day yesterday and picked up between a tenth and a quarter of an inch overnight.

Today we will have a 40 percent chance of showers with east winds 12-17 mph and seas 2-3 feet (.6 to 1 meter).

Tomorrow we should have a mostly sunny day with winds 10-15 mph and seas at 2 feet (.6 meters). There will only be a small chance of a passing shower during the day, but the chance increases to 50 percent Monday night.

Tuesday should continue fairly calm, with winds 7-12 mph and seas 1-2 feet (.3 to .6 meters). Scattered showers are possible.

Wednesday will be a bit windier at 17-22 mph, but for the rest of the week scattered showers will be around, with a 40-50 percent chance each day. If you get a shower, as my wife likes to say, get a beach chair under a shelter with your favorite beverage and wait until it passes.